Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Beer study and bible tasting


I finally got around to starting up the 'Beer Study & Bible Tasting' I've been tossing around in my head for the past, oh, ten years or so (thanks to Carrie & Jane).

We have met twice now - once on a Friday night and the second on Sunday afternoon. Besides Jane, myself, and Drew Carrie, there is another young couple and a friend/co-worker of Drew's who happens to consider himself an atheist. I think it's a good group.

WHAT IS IT?
It is, of course, a play on words. We don't actually study beer or taste the bible. The idea is not so much that anyone NEEDS to drink beer, or even believe the bible for that matter, but it is simply an informal way to get together and discuss the bible, and maybe have a couple beverages as we do. So far I think we have had some really great discussion.

FORMAT
There isn't really a set format we follow. So far I've just googled a couple 'basic beer facts' and introduced them to the group, then we've watched a video from THE BIBLE PROJECT and discussed it. We watched 'What Is the Bible' in week one, and 'Literary Styles in the Bible' in week two. It appears we watched the first and third video in the series - because I'm an idiot - so I guess we will watch the second one the next time.

We haven't done a lot 'in' the Bible yet, but we discussed the need/desire to last week. So we will likely watch a couple more in the 'How To Read the Bible' series and then concentrate on a book, or maybe we will just add some book study to the video. We will play it by ear.

------------

Personally, I've hedged against this for too long probably. I haven't felt like much of a leader and I've feared setting myself up for yet another letdown, so my heels have admittedly been dragging. I'm trying to be very laid back and not get overly excited or uptight about anything. At the same time, though, I do feel it necessary to be mindful of the integrity of the original intent. I don't want there to be any shaming, pressuring, or bashing of anyone. So, we will see how it goes. I have no pre-conceived expectation of how things will develop, nor do I feel any particular 'ownership' of the thing. I hope I can stay that way. I also hope some might find it worthwhile as well though.

No comments: